Friday, September 10, 2010

Understudy

This is the most depressing word in the history of theatre.
Yes, I am Agnes' understudy. Still Agnes, just not for real real.
I've had my vents and I've cried my tears and I had a marvelous epiphany from the situation.
I'm not going to grad school for Playwriting anymore.
Oh, no.
I'm going for acting.
After last night I realized that this is my true calling. I'd forgotten how much I love being on stage and playing someone real since I've been doing fluff for the past two and a half years.
So I didn't get the lead this time. I'm understudying the lead, though and that means that I was so close to getting it. That in and of itself is enough for me.
I also realized that supporting a friend in the arts is a wonderful cure for a broken spirit.
Shout outs to Abbey Worthing for her wonderful performance as Mayzie La Bird in Seussical the Musical this evening. You were fabulous!

Keep on going, kids, no matter how many times they push you down.

Cheers,
M.E.J.

No comments: